Summer Lane School aims to foster a sense of community in which all pupils and staff are valued and can thrive, regardless of background, religion, race, language, ability/disability, sexuality, gender or age. We will not tolerate racism, sexism, negative attitudes towards disability and other discriminatory practices. Any breach of this policy is dealt with by the appropriate member of staff or line manager. Where further action is needed, this will be taken in line with the school behaviour policy or staff disciplinary procedure or complaints policy.
We aim to:
- Encourage pupils to be open-minded and be aware of prejudice;
- Help pupils to develop their self-esteem and to recognise that they are each valued as individuals through actively encouraging their access to the full curriculum and extra-curricular activities;
- Demonstrate that pupils are respected as individuals;
- Help each pupil to achieve their full potential;
- Enable pupils to contribute actively to the process of education by bringing their cultural experiences, values and perspectives to it;
- Be sensitive about equal opportunities issues in the selection of teaching materials and be aware of images and text, which may stereotype or denigrate groups or individuals;
- Ensure that Summer Lane School is an equal opportunities employer so that staff feel valued, supported and have appropriate advice and encouragement for Professional Development; and
- Use our resources to help those who need additional help to overcome barriers.
Our full Equality policy is located on the Policy & Prospectus section of the website.