Summer Lane's History Intent Statement
At Summer Lane we aspire to ignite children’s curiosity about the past in Britain and the wider world through finding out about how and why the world, our country, culture and local community have developed over time.
The National Curriculum 2014 and the Early Years Foundation Framework 2021 provides the basis for our history curriculum. It is then tailored to meet the needs of the children within our school.
History follows the Collins Primary History scheme. We follow a two year cycle which means that children are taught History 3 times throughout the year, once per term.
- posses a secure understanding of the chronology of the British Isles and other important periods of history.
- be able to use historical evidence to form their own opinions and interpretations of the past and explain how interpretations in history may differ.
- become increasingly aware that historical events have shaped the world we live in today.
- become increasingly critical and analytical thinkers with the ability to debate, discuss and communicate their ideas and opinions using a wide range of historical terminology.
- have a further understanding of history in the local community.
- be able to make connections between different periods of history they have studied.