F2 Miss Silverwood / Mrs McCord
Welcome to Foundation 2
The staff working in the Foundation 2 unit are; Miss Silverwood and Mrs McCord (Class teachers), Miss Fisher, Mrs Ward, and Mrs Tyas (Learning support assistants).The children have been placed into two register groups; Miss Silverwood's Superstars and Mrs McCord's Clever Clogs. These register groups will be used for group work, reporting to parents at parent evenings, end of year reports and completing children's learning journeys. Please take a look at which group your child is in. The information will be displayed on the Foundation 2 notice board.
In Foundation 2, children will take part in daily phonics sessions. During the phonics sessions, children will learn the sounds and names of letters in the alphabet, then, the children will learn how to read and write simple words. We would appreciate any support you could give to your child regarding the learning of these letters at home. Children will also take part in math focused activities and literacy sessions to support their learning, however a lot of this learning will be done through play in the classroom environment with the support from Foundation 2 teachers.
We would like to welcome you all to our class page. This class page is to inform you about what the children have been doing at school. We also use the class Dojo application to also upload activities, so please make sure that you also check Dojo. During the first half term, the real aim is for the teachers and staff in Foundation 2 is to get to know your child and for you child to get to know us too. We will be spending lots of time with the children to find out about themselves, their family, their likes and dislikes. A lot of this will be done through play, whilst taking part in activities that the children are interested in, to build a great teacher/pupil bond that will develop and flourish throughout the year. We will be starting off our year with the topic 'All About Me'. During this topic we will be reading stories and taking part in activities that encourage children to talk about themselves, how they maybe different to someone else, but how everyone is beautiful and unique. This will encourage children to talk about their likes and dislikes and how they maybe similar or different to their friends in class. This topic really gets children communicating with one another, which begins to develop friendships within the classroom environment.
Class Targets for this half term
- Our class target is to look after the classroom environment and become independent learners.
At home we would like your child to practise:
- Writing their first and surname.
- Forming letters and numbers correctly.
- Recognising numbers 0-10.
- Baking and food tasting activities are an important part of children's learning. Therefore, we would appreciate a weekly contribution of £1 towards the cost of these activities.
- The children will be taking part in lots of fun outdoor learning, please make sure that your child brings a coat to school everyday so they can participate in outdoor activities.
- Your child has been given a book bag labelled with their name. It is important that your child brings their book bag to school every day.
- Please make sure that your child's jumpers, cardigans and coats are name labelled to make sure they can be returned if misplaced.
- Please sign up to our class Dojo page for any important updates and class information. A sheet of paper will be given to you in September with a code and password to sign up to our Class Dojo page.
- Fruit, water and milk will be provided for your child at school, so there is no need to send your child to school with a water bottle.
*Monday 4th of September - Inset Day
*Tuesday 5th - Friday 8th of September - F2 children to attend either on their morning or afternoon slot.
*Friday 8th of September - Teddy Bears' Picnic. F2 Children to fetch their favourite toy to school for a picnic.
*Friday 27th of October - Break up for half term.
*Monday 6th of November - Inset Day
*Tuesday 7th of November - School re-opens.